Monday, October 8, 2007

Sometimes she cooks.



Whole wheat bread. Recipe from The New Best Recipe authored by the America's Test Kitchen people. I have made a dozen different types of WW bread. I have used the one from the bag of King Arthur traditional whole wheat flour, and I have used ones from a bunch of different cookbooks. This one uses a blend of WW flour, white flour, rye flour, and wheat germ, with honey as the sweetener. The quarter-cup of rye flour seems to make a big difference for no reason that I can fathom. I'd rather be using 100% whole grain and no white flour. I think next time I'll try a combination of whole wheat and "White Whole Wheat" and see if the texture holds.


Applesauce muffins. I wanted doughnuts or maybe a nice cheese danish for breakfast, but I "settled" for these instead. Plus I got to use up the applesauce that has been in the cupboard since whenever, AND the whole wheat pastry flour.


Bran muffins. These are the staple weekday breakfast Chez Nous. The recipe is from Jane Brody's Good Food Book. We weren't running out of these yet, but the buttermilk was about to turn and I wanted to use it up because of the Economy Plan.





Yes. The freezer is now crammed full.
Seafood pasta. I made this with canned clams, canned clam juice (why did I ever buy that in the first place?), scallions, white wine, and shrimp, and served it with whole wheat spaghetti.
Net reduction in obscure pantry items: 3
I know the formatting is hinky here, but I don't care enough to figure it out.